Thursday, March 11, 2010

Books as Art: Carol Owen's mixed media

Carol Owen has been a professional artist for 30 years, working initially as a weaver and papermaker, and now in mixed media. She has exhibited throughout the United States and her work has appeared in many publications, including Collage for the Soul, and magazines including Mary Engelbreit's Home Campanion (Dec/Jan 2008), Somerset StudioLegacy and Country Living. 


Her creations, which she calls "altered books," have a "found-object" and Victorian feel.


Her interview with The Baltimore Sun is reprinted below:

How long have you been working with books and/or paper? I’ve been working with paper for a long time. I made my own paper for several years, and created wall pieces with it. And with the shrine Spirit Houses I do, I use handmade Japanese rice paper, and collage with various papers.
What is it about books that connects with you – and with buyers? I got into altered books about 5 or 6 years ago. I’ve always had a love of books, since I was a child. And with the altered books, people are fascinated with holding a book in their hands and turning pages to reveal the art work.
Name a favorite book, and tell us why you liked it. Nick Bantock’s books, specifically the Gryphon and Sabine series, started me on my fascination with altered books. And I collect Robert Sabuda’s pop-up books.
What have you read lately that you’d recommend? I’m in a book club (actually, I’m in two book clubs!), and my favorite read lately was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. It really grabs your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments, however they are subject to approval by the moderator. Please do not include any items or services you are selling in your comment. Your comment must be less than 200 words or it will not be posted. Thanks!

Welcome

You've discovered

The Friends of the Corona Public Library Blog.


Thanks for visiting!

Here we post the latest in the Book & Library World, both local and international. Also, browse to look for news and tid-bits we think you'll find interesting on reading-related topics.

Please review the "Categories" and "Archives" boxes in the right sidebar for categories on past postings.

If you find something out there on the web that you'd like us to know about, pass it along by emailing us at: info@friendsofcpl.org

To return to the main Friends website pages please click here.