Friday, September 25, 2009

John Grisham: 'I tried literature and didn't like it much.'



Dan Brown, who was criticised by his fellow best-selling novelist Philip Pullman last week for his 'flat, stunted and ugly' prose, has won sympathy from John Grisham.

(Reprinted from The Telegraph UK
By Richard Eden)

"I know that what I do is not literature," says Grisham, who has sold more than 250 million copies of his legal thrillers such as The Pelican Brief and The Firm.

"For me, the essential component of fiction is plot. My objective is to get the reader to feel impelled to turn the pages as quickly as possible. If I want to achieve that, I can't allow myself the luxury of distracting him. I have to keep him hanging on and the only way to do it is by using the weapons of suspense. There is no other way.

More>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments, however they are subject to approval by the moderator. Please do not include any items or services you are selling in your comment. Your comment must be less than 200 words or it will not be posted. Thanks!

Welcome

You've discovered

The Friends of the Corona Public Library Blog.


Thanks for visiting!

Here we post the latest in the Book & Library World, both local and international. Also, browse to look for news and tid-bits we think you'll find interesting on reading-related topics.

Please review the "Categories" and "Archives" boxes in the right sidebar for categories on past postings.

If you find something out there on the web that you'd like us to know about, pass it along by emailing us at: info@friendsofcpl.org

To return to the main Friends website pages please click here.